[scribus] American typewriter font and Scribus

"Sveinn í Felli (IMAP)" sveinki at nett.is
Mon Jun 16 23:06:47 CEST 2008

I have one Scribus-related question regarding this;

Hirwen HARENDAL wrote:
>  From: sveinki at nett.is> To: scribus at lists.scribus.net
>>> ** American typewriter from BT is a commercial font. > > I'm pretty sure my copy of amrtypen.ttf came in a soup of > fonts on a Corel8 CD. The "LICENSE.TXT" for the fonts > indicated free personal use, but for commercial uses you > should buy a license. Quite normal practice.> > The font header is not very informative:> > "MediumAmerTypewriterITCbyBT..."
>> Suppose there is a bit more legalese in font headers these days?
> ** Legalese in font header isn't sufficient to determine as for the use of a police. Only the license has a real value.
> You have the right to use this font ,only and only because you have
> the program delivering it. Sandra can't if she haven't a corel prg like
> you.  Fonts coming with a prg aren't redistribuable too... Even if you
> can find it on the web... Shareware fonts can only be tested, the
> use need to purchase a licence.

So, if I embed a font in a PDF document made in Scribus, I'd
have to check the licensing status of the font before
sending the document to another person.

Is there any project to do such checking - and would such a
mechanism be integrated in Scribus in any future ?

> - Now, where are the limits between personal an commercial uses?
> Associations and organisations are considered as having a commercial status, depending of the country.
> - And if I publish a work on the web for exemple, by using a font like
> American typewriter ITC by BT?
> Legally and in theory, this is no longer a personal use too...

Any publishing is bound by this over here. Possibly also the
nameplate I cut in Oregon pine for my mother-in-law's
summerhouse; Garamond Medium used there...  :-)
Luckily the number of lawyers per hectare is quite low in my
country.

Cheers

Sveinn í Felli