[scribus] Aliasing and color problems

Tino Schwarze scribus.lists at tisc.de
Mon Jul 21 07:56:44 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 07:39:17PM +0200, Fabien SK wrote:
> Le dimanche 20 juillet 2008 à 13:51 +0200, Tino Schwarze a écrit :
> > BTW: Are you sure the print shop won't do automated color correction or
> > something else? Did they provide a color profile for you to use, so your
> > RGB->CMYK conversion is correct?

> The print shop allows optional automatic correction. I don't know yet
> which option I will choose. I did not calibrated my screen (I don't have
> any device to do so, and I don't know anyone who has one), and the last
> time I ordered some prints (years ago), the non-automatically corrected
> photos (I tried both) appeared too dark.

Well, I suppose, if they auto-correct your pre-layouted pages, things
might get pretty worse because there are multiple images in it (not so
with ordinary photos) and you've got a lot of black there. The images
might get very distorted.

> They provide an ICC profile, but I know about nothing about color
> calibration and things like that, I'm just a basic user. My goal is just
> to have a decent result.

Which kind of ICC profile do they provide? CMYK, RGB? You should use
that in any case to do the RGB->PDF export. You don't need a calibrated
system for that. You should NOT try to export to "Printer" (=CMYK) PDF
without color management activated! The results will be very bad.

> > The whole point of Scribus is to *not* export to image files, but to
> > PDF. This should be your eventual format, and you can do this in
> > individual page files if you wish. Alternatively, exporting to EPS
> > should work, but PDF is far preferable.
>
> Well, the online print shop only accepts image files (it's more a
> general public site than a shop for professionals), so I would like to
> do like if I were ordering my original photos.

You should check carefully in which format you deliver your photos -
CMYK is probably not the best option if you're trying to pretent to
deliver original photos - these are in RGB. Unfortunately, I don't speak
French, so I cannot check their page.

Tino.

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de