[Scribus] Minor GUI concerns

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins
Thu Feb 14 16:18:00 CET 2008

2008/2/14, Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>:

> Cedric Sagne wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I was reading about hanging punctuation (see the link), which is just
> > one refinement similar to capital caps.
> > A workaround is available by defining a paragraph style with an
> > indentation for the main text but not for the first line.
> > Is there a wider voice for something more automated?
> >

> Not sure I would consider this a "workaround" -- it's how you do this.
> As your example shows, this is not likely to be something that can be
> simply automated -- the left double quotes are larger than they should
> be for the text size (see the right double quotes at the end).
> I didn't find that making a hanging indent of a few points was so
> difficult, and it would need to be customized for various fonts and font
> sizes anyway.
>
> > http://desktoppub.about.com/od/typelayout/ss/hangingquotes.htm
> >
> > Also, on the GUI side, I would really save time with a shortcut from the
> > properties palette to edit colours and text styles. Are there more
> > people around who agree with me?
> >

> A bit more explanation of what you want here would help. Edit >
> Paragraph Styles doesn't work? You can set a keyboard shortcut if you
> wish...

Greg,

I take this opportunity to explain further what I have in mind when I talk
about a button named "Create style". While it is very efficient to test
various type settings from the PP and immediately see the result in the real
text frame of your job (as opposed to the sample text that is in the Edit >
Paragraph Styles dialog) it is clumsy to have to go to the Edit > Paragraph
Styles dialog to enter again those values when you're satisfied with the
result and want that as a Style. The trip to this dialog is time consuming
and not very efficient. What I suggest is this button that would allow to
immediately create a Style from the settings of the PP (provided as
mentionned in an earlier bug report that we harmonize the PP and the Edit >
Par Styles dialog). Once hit, we would be offered a small dialog asking for
a Style Name and a Keyboard Shortcut (as an option) and voil?!

I sincerely think this would be a great plus for productivity and
creationness! Not a gadget, a real plus in the PP. Consider the fact that
afaik Scribus is alone in its category to allow such mousewheel settings
combined with ctrl and shift keys to make the finest settings at your
fingertip, including changing fonts, typesize, linespacing, kerning... etc.
Given all those goodies that are really super-efficient, I am incline to
think that a "Create Style" button would be in fact the cherry on the cake,
the final touch to the text tab in the PP! Am I too enthusiastic?

Louis

Greg