[Scribus] Minor GUI concerns

avox avox
Thu Feb 14 16:15:44 CET 2008

Cedric Sagne-2 wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was reading about hanging punctuation (see the link), which is just
> one refinement similar to capital caps.
> A workaround is available by defining a paragraph style with an
> indentation for the main text but not for the first line.
> Is there a wider voice for something more automated?
>
> http://desktoppub.about.com/od/typelayout/ss/hangingquotes.htm

This is already handled by "Optical margins" (introduced in 1.3.4).

In Scribus it's fully automated and includes margin kerning of
non-punctuation characters on the right side (check 'r' and 'f').
Nowadays it's not recommended any more to hang the punctuation
100% outside the margins. Instead, Scribus takes the values which
pdfTeX uses for the same purpose (50% for wide marks like "?????;:
and 70% for narrow marks like ,.-'`?). Other dashes are rightaligned
with the hanging hyphen.

For dropcaps / initials other methods are needed and will be added at
a later stage.

/Andreas