[Scribus] Question about creating in Scribus

Craig Ringer craig
Thu Feb 14 09:21:40 CET 2008

Sveinn ? Felli (IMAP) wrote:

> One of my favorite online newspaper publishes it's paper
> version in a similar way, http://papeldigital.info/lt/
>
> This is a flash object with ActionScript, the page
> thumbnails are rendered as JPEG-2000 images. The lot is
> either compressed or encrypted, I haven't been able to
> dissect these objects; anyway my win2k partition hasn't been
> bootable for a while (who cares) so I haven't tried recently
> to load those into Macromedia Flash Editor. Didn't work last
> time.
> Am afraid doing this is difficult with open and free tools.
> If you're on Linux you can check out F4L (Flash for Linux)
> they're now in version:  0.2.1, homepage: http://f4l.sf.net/

The paper I work for publishes highly compressed PDFs of each edition to
the website (processed using Acrobat Pro). While I'm personally not
thrilled with the results, I get consistent feedback from users that
they find it fast and easy to use. The image quality is, admittedly,
horrible, and it's only going to be fast for someone on ADSL/cable .

It's also a fairly cheap and easy way to publish. So all is not lost.
Acrobat Pro isn't cheap either, but at least it's a one-off cost.

--
Craig Ringer