[Scribus] Usability needs attention -- time for a feature

Richard eyelagui
Sat Feb 2 17:52:12 CET 2008

OK, the black hole happenned to me also and i'm not using some fancy
strange fonts... Most of the time i use Arial, Trebuchet, Verdana or
Tahoma, but the most used is Trebuchet.
When that happens you can write but text get lost, my workaround is to
delete some text containing the black hole, then write again, also some
times lines get messed up, when changing style to one line you get the
next one changed instead of the one you tryed, this comes generally as a
signal than there's a black hole, and usually remains after black hole
has been deleted. Only workaround i have found is to save, close and
reopen document.
Also, i'm posting some images of what hapens with story editor, and the
only workaround i have found for this one is to save, close and reopen
document.
Pages are in numerical order and i will explain.
P1.jpg When trying to apply some style to a page, story editor misses
the grid where to change styles as you can see, it appears white. But,
text is formated and on its place.
P2.jpg Open story editor for a different page (also on same page other
text frame) and all styles are there, as you can see, text remains
formatted on the previous frame.
P3.jpg After closing and reopening document, you can successfully edit
text and styles again. And watch, text IS formatted, but story editor
says every line has the same style... there is something wrong.

Also, happened that, when deleting some text styles, style editor asks
to replace deleted one with other.... but it chosses any but the one i
select.
Also, Undo.... if i move a text frame, and then undo, it unodoes any
action but nothing related to text frame... i mean, it resizes an image
resized before text was moved, but text remains in the same place.

This two last didn't happenned on 1.3.3.9 and i believe neither on
1.3.3.10svn

Using WinXP SP2+ and Scribus 1.3.3.11-1

The workarounds i have found are annoying because of the time takes to a
document to open, and i mean the time it takes after green progress bar
says 100% which usually is about 1 min. and time to reach 100% is more
than normal, the same time on Win and Linux, but Linux doesn't takes the
extra time after this.