[Scribus] Usability needs attention -- time for a feature

Peter Nermander peter.nermander
Sat Feb 2 08:33:48 CET 2008

> Beside, it happens i tried to replace with webdings and wingdings char,
> and the displayed char appears allways a thick square instead of
> the awaited character.
> Beside, that squarelooking character behave as a black hole :
> when typing next to it, characters dont appear, as swallowed by it.
> That is quite unusual as usability behaviour.
> Have i done something wrong ?

I'm not sure about the black hole, but it is very important to understand
how Scribus works with fonts and characters. It is very different from how
the MS Office suite programs handle it.

Scribus uses unicode as the character set. This means that it is important
to make sure the font used really have a glyph for the character code you
are using. Remember, all that is in the Scribus file is a charcter code (a
number). What is displayed on the screen depends on which glyph the font in
use has for that character code.

I think it sounds as if you have switched to a font which doesn't even have
placeholder glyphs for the characters you are typing.

/Peter