[scribus] Speeding up Scribus WinXP

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 20:04:43 CET 2008

Leander Sukov wrote:

> That is unfortunate with scribus: It is slow, no - it is as fast as dead
> turtle, when it has to work with more than just a few pages.

It doesn't seem that bad here. The longest doc I've done was a 61 page
report, mixed text and graphics.

>We are still
> using an old pagemaker (6.5) on a window computer (the only one remaining) to
> do the layout for books.

We've switched from pagemaker 6.51 and indesign 1.5 to Scribus because
Scribus is more stable.

> We would love to do all layouts with scribus, but due to the speed we can't.

What spec machine are you using ?  We're on a 2.4GHz core duo CPU with 4
gig of RAM.

> It is also not possible to split books into different documents, because you
> loose a lot of control on orphan, widows etc.

It's certainly not convenient anyway !

How many pages do your stories cover ?  I tend to keep the stories
short, only a few pages, but the full document may be quite large, and
we don't seem to have significant speed problems.

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor