[scribus] Hebrew

Joop lists at joelassist.nl
Fri Aug 29 18:50:05 CEST 2008

Gregory Pittman schreef:
> Joop wrote:
>> Besides my previous question about mixing Dutch and Hebrew in one
>> paragraph, I have more problems with Hebrew text. I use arial in
>> Windows XP. The text in the story editor goes from right to left when
>> I choose Hebrew as my keyboard. But when I put the text in the text
>> frame all letters show up in reversed order, and also not right alined.
>> In the properties I see a button with a reversed R (why isn't that
>> button present in the strory editor?), but that doesn't help to change.
>>
>> I want to make at least a paragraph style to type Hebrew in the story
>> editor that works properly.
> It looks like you'll need to do some kludgy thing, like type them in
> reverse order, or perhaps for longer passages, superimpose another text
> frame in the space you wish to put the Hebrew.
> As far as I can tell, right to left is a frame-wide setting.

Greg,

Thank you for replying.

Working with kludgy procedures is not my style. Superimposing extra text
frames is not an easy job with hundreds of places where it should be
done. I wonder isn't there anybody who has asked this before. Since it
would not only be vital for Hebrew publishes, but also necessary for
Arab writing people, if they want to put an English word in an Arab
sentence. And probably also in other non l>r scripts.

Isn't anybody using Scribus in the Arab world or Israel? All using other
products?

It is strange that all text in a frame should be either left to right or
right to left. I found that even two different paragraph styles in a
frame will be both l>r or both r>l. OpenOffice.org is much more flexible
with letter-styles, who are missing in Scribus. And in my opinion they
should not. But even without letter styles you can change the letter
order just by changing the keyboard from International to Hebrew, like
William Maddock wrote.

Are the developers of Scribus reading these list entries too?

Joop