[scribus] Hebrew

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Aug 29 19:36:54 CEST 2008

Joop wrote:
> Gregory Pittman schreef:
>> Joop wrote:
>>> Besides my previous question about mixing Dutch and Hebrew in one
>>> paragraph, I have more problems with Hebrew text. I use arial in
>>> Windows XP. The text in the story editor goes from right to left
>>> when I choose Hebrew as my keyboard. But when I put the text in the
>>> text frame all letters show up in reversed order, and also not right
>>> alined.
>>> In the properties I see a button with a reversed R (why isn't that
>>> button present in the strory editor?), but that doesn't help to change.
>>>
>>> I want to make at least a paragraph style to type Hebrew in the
>>> story editor that works properly.
>> It looks like you'll need to do some kludgy thing, like type them in
>> reverse order, or perhaps for longer passages, superimpose another
>> text frame in the space you wish to put the Hebrew.
>> As far as I can tell, right to left is a frame-wide setting.
>
> Greg,
>
> Thank you for replying.
>
> Working with kludgy procedures is not my style. Superimposing extra
> text frames is not an easy job with hundreds of places where it should
> be done. I wonder isn't there anybody who has asked this before. Since
> it would not only be vital for Hebrew publishes, but also necessary
> for Arab writing people, if they want to put an English word in an
> Arab sentence. And probably also in other non l>r scripts.
>
> Isn't anybody using Scribus in the Arab world or Israel? All using
> other products?
>
> It is strange that all text in a frame should be either left to right
> or right to left. I found that even two different paragraph styles in
> a frame will be both l>r or both r>l. OpenOffice.org is much more
> flexible with letter-styles, who are missing in Scribus. And in my
> opinion they should not. But even without letter styles you can change
> the letter order just by changing the keyboard from International to
> Hebrew, like William Maddock wrote.
>
> Are the developers of Scribus reading these list entries too?
they probably are reading this. I tried various things, and if you try
Edit Contents mode, the Reverse button still works on the entire frame.
In Story Editor, there is no Reverse button. So I think it's pretty
conclusively not supported yet.

Hebrew, Arabic, and east Asian languages remain major areas where
Scribus is still lacking in dealing with a variety of issues. You can
see that these are on the roadmap, but a bit down the road from now.

Greg