[scribus] Basic tutorial on creating poster in Portable Scribus

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Aug 28 15:23:57 CEST 2008

Murray Strome wrote:
> Have you looked at the tutorial that is downloadable from:
>
> http://www.oliveroot.net/Scribus/Getting_Started_With_Scribus_2008/
>
> This is NOT for the poster, but hopefully, it will help you understand the terminology. I knew absolutely nothing about Scribus in particular, nor Desktop Publishing (DTP) in general when I started working with Nigel to prepare this revised tutorial, so I was coming at it from the perspective of a complete novice. The tutorials are in OpenOffice format. The ZIP file contains the both tutorials and all the files mentioned in the tutorial.
>
>  Getting_Started_A4.odt Getting_Started_Letter.odt Getting_Started_With_Scribus_2008.zip README.txt md5sums.txt
> I hope this is helpful to you.
>
> Murray

I don't know that there is anything so much special about a poster
versus other projects one might do with Scribus. Because of the size of
what you're doing you need to pay particular attention to the final
resolution (DPI) of any images. Whenever possible, vector graphics is
preferable to bitmap.

In general, it's good for newbies to check out the official docs site,
and also the wiki:

http://docs.scribus.net/
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Main_Page

Greg