[scribus] 1.3.5 Windows spelling checker ?

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 17:19:30 CEST 2008

Louis Desjardins wrote:
> 2008/8/21 Craig Bradney <cbradney at zip.com.au>
>
>>> As always, I am ready to listen to new ways, new ideas... We never know!
>>> But I look at this also from the perspective that we have lots of things
>>> much more difficult and critical to deal with and Spell Checking is not
>> and
>>> cannot be a priority. At least, I hope it is not a priority!
>> Simply. it needs to be looked at from the point of the editor, before the
>> production gets to the printshop. Even if you import prepared documents, a
>> lot
>> of the workflows (inexperienced/home/small/whatever) simply need the
>> functionality. Its not major functionality really. Its not like we have to
>> write the spelling libraries and dictionaries. Saying a computer can only
>> help
>> would exclude spelling checkers from oo.org/word etc as well. There are
>> plenty
>> of clever people out there that simply cannot spell, or cannot type, or
>> whatever.
>
> But then this implies people are going to use only one program to do all
> their work, while there are better tools

I wouldn't use Scribus as a photo editor or a CAD system, but I don't
think being able to enter and alter text effectively is too much to ask.

  (untill we get a stand-alone SE!)
> to achieve that. And a better moment in time, too!

Moot point. The spelling checker is already implemented.

> As you mention, doing are redoing, that's the whole point. There is no paper
> thrown out of the typewriter but there is a lot of time spent in a more or
> less useless manner if we go over the work again and again, no?

But does it matter if it's spent in front of OO or Scribus ?

> I undertand
> that the spell checker won't be dismissed and I have no issue with this,
> really.

:)   Really ??

> I only say that some steps are better done at a given moment in the
> process than at any time. Or else, this is not a process! "C'est n'importe
> quoi" !!! (it could be just anything) !!!

But actually it's something very useful -  to some of us anyway.

> Actually, I don't say the tool is useless. My point is aobut how and when to
> use it.

:)   'When you say so' by the sound of it.

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor