[scribus] 1.3.5 Windows spelling checker ?

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 13:00:23 CEST 2008

2008/8/21 Craig Bradney <cbradney at zip.com.au>

> > As always, I am ready to listen to new ways, new ideas... We never know!
> > But I look at this also from the perspective that we have lots of things
> > much more difficult and critical to deal with and Spell Checking is not
> and
> > cannot be a priority. At least, I hope it is not a priority!
>
> Simply. it needs to be looked at from the point of the editor, before the
> production gets to the printshop. Even if you import prepared documents, a
> lot
> of the workflows (inexperienced/home/small/whatever) simply need the
> functionality. Its not major functionality really. Its not like we have to
> write the spelling libraries and dictionaries. Saying a computer can only
> help
> would exclude spelling checkers from oo.org/word etc as well. There are
> plenty
> of clever people out there that simply cannot spell, or cannot type, or
> whatever.

But then this implies people are going to use only one program to do all
their work, while there are better tools (untill we get a stand-alone SE!)
to achieve that. And a better moment in time, too!

> > I don't know if I made the point clear... or clearer... Please let me
> know.
> > I will try to explain better if it has to be clearer. One more thing I
> > could say is the digital world often lead us to believe we can do and
> redo
> > just about anything and it's always a matter of seconds, or minutes...
> But
> > this is not true. It may well be a matter of hours... and more. Digital
> > production workflow is facing real efficiency issues over time and we are
> > only beginning to realise this. There is lots of time lost in front of
> > computer screens.
>
> We can do and redo things.. that's the whole point, we don't have to rip
> the
> paper out of the typewriter and start it again anymore. Speaking from the
> perspective of the production side is not useful for the user side, even
> though I know you are on both sides - you are a professional in the field
> and
> most of Scribus users are not.

As you mention, doing are redoing, that's the whole point. There is no paper
thrown out of the typewriter but there is a lot of time spent in a more or
less useless manner if we go over the work again and again, no? I undertand
that the spell checker won't be dismissed and I have no issue with this,
really. I only say that some steps are better done at a given moment in the
process than at any time. Or else, this is not a process! "C'est n'importe
quoi" !!! (it could be just anything) !!!

Actually, I don't say the tool is useless. My point is aobut how and when to
use it.

It's also about coding priorities, as I understand them and as mentionned in
my previous post.

> > And again, we only have a few coders...
>
> Hence the current spellchecker was not done by the main team, Gora did it,
> and
> did a great job. Still, its there and it works - so, cool :). Nobody said
> functionality had to be written by the 5 or 6 coders that sit in front of
> the
> codebase for a few mins or hours per day.

Yep, ok! Thanks Craig for this precision, as always! I thought it needed
more brain oil from the team and I know the team is a small team!