[scribus] 1.3.5 Windows spelling checker ?

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 13:12:34 CEST 2008

2008/8/21 Peter Nermander <peter at nermander.se>

> > Isn't the stand-alone story editor (with a spelling checker and
> > everything)
> > currently called OpenOffice?
>
> No, becuase OpenOffice Writer does not work in Scribus native format,
> importing from OO passes a "translation".
>

> One other reason for the spellchecker should be done before the text ends
> up on the canvas is the matter of character spacings (kerning and
> similar). On the canvas people are usually working visually, changes to
> the text are for visual appearance.
>
> What if you kern (not sure if that is the correct word for this situation)
> V and A closer together for a word, then the spellchecker tells that there
> shall be a U between V and A? Or that the V skall be a W? What happends to
> the distance between characters?

This is a very good example on why having an overview of the whole process
of publishing is important. There are things such as proofreading and text
revision that have to be done in a certain order so we can achieve a project
within reasonable limits (time and budget, mainly!).

> Or if the corrected spelling makes the word longer/shorter so lines wrap
> differently?

Exactly! A single letter added or removed can add or remove a line and this
can have either a very local effect, or an effect on many many pages. So,
why spend hours on a layout and then discover that a text has not been
proofread correctly prior the layout and then put at risk hours of work for
"tiny" text modifications? Those "tiny" details seem tiny only from the text
point of view. From the layout point of view it could be heavy work, hours
of work... So, even if only one person is involved in the work, it's still a
waste of time to do things in any order.

You don't throw in the eggs once the cake is baked!

Louis