[scribus] 1.3.5 Windows spelling checker ?

joseph harris smilepoet at vfemail.net
Thu Aug 21 12:55:12 CEST 2008

From: "Peter Nermander"
>> Isn't the stand-alone story editor (with a spelling checker
>> and
>> everything)
>> currently called OpenOffice?
>
> No, becuase OpenOffice Writer does not work in Scribus native
> format,
> importing from OO passes a "translation".
>

> One other reason for the spellchecker should be done before the
> text ends
> up on the canvas is the matter of character spacings (kerning
> and
> similar). On the canvas people are usually working visually,
> changes to
> the text are for visual appearance.
>
> What if you kern (not sure if that is the correct word for this
> situation)
> V and A closer together for a word, then the spellchecker tells
> that there
> shall be a U between V and A? Or that the V skall be a W? What
> happends to
> the distance between characters?
>
> Or if the corrected spelling makes the word longer/shorter so
> lines wrap
> differently?
>

> /Peter

Very sound points Peter. However, we being mere mortals, mistakes
are often noticed at the last moment, however well we spell
check, grammar check, error check or try to ensure we have
covered the latest information... Problems of maintaining layout
are then achieved, if needed, by kerning, spacing variation, and
even by light leading.

Joseph Harris