[scribus] 1.3.5 Windows spelling checker ?

Craig Bradney cbradney at zip.com.au
Thu Aug 21 08:09:24 CEST 2008

> As always, I am ready to listen to new ways, new ideas... We never know!
> But I look at this also from the perspective that we have lots of things
> much more difficult and critical to deal with and Spell Checking is not and
> cannot be a priority. At least, I hope it is not a priority!

Simply. it needs to be looked at from the point of the editor, before the
production gets to the printshop. Even if you import prepared documents, a lot
of the workflows (inexperienced/home/small/whatever) simply need the
functionality. Its not major functionality really. Its not like we have to
write the spelling libraries and dictionaries. Saying a computer can only help
would exclude spelling checkers from oo.org/word etc as well. There are plenty
of clever people out there that simply cannot spell, or cannot type, or
whatever.

> I don't know if I made the point clear... or clearer... Please let me know.
> I will try to explain better if it has to be clearer. One more thing I
> could say is the digital world often lead us to believe we can do and redo
> just about anything and it's always a matter of seconds, or minutes... But
> this is not true. It may well be a matter of hours... and more. Digital
> production workflow is facing real efficiency issues over time and we are
> only beginning to realise this. There is lots of time lost in front of
> computer screens.

We can do and redo things.. that's the whole point, we don't have to rip the
paper out of the typewriter and start it again anymore. Speaking from the
perspective of the production side is not useful for the user side, even
though I know you are on both sides - you are a professional in the field and
most of Scribus users are not.

> And again, we only have a few coders...

Hence the current spellchecker was not done by the main team, Gora did it, and
did a great job. Still, its there and it works - so, cool :). Nobody said
functionality had to be written by the 5 or 6 coders that sit in front of the
codebase for a few mins or hours per day.

Craig