[scribus] Necessity for spelling checker? [was "Re: 1.3.5 Windows spelling checker ?"]

Hedley Finger hfinger at handholding.com.au
Thu Aug 21 06:34:22 CEST 2008

Louis Desjardins wrote:

> We have to wonder if a Spell Checker belongs or not in the DTP world, and
> especially in Open Source where it is obvious that people have a real choice
> of picking the application that is just good for a given task.

If you were running a magazine which included contributions from many
different writers, you might wish to run a spelling check to make sure
words were spelt according to the house style of the magazine.  Would
you remove the drawing tools on the basis that they can be done just
effectively in Gimp or Inkscape?

In a waterfall model of publishing, each phase follows one after the
other.  In the real world, publishing is iterative.  And if the editor
of our hypothetical magazine has to cut and otherwise edit copy to fit
the space available, then a spell checker is almost a necessity.

Regards,
Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia
Tel. +61 3 9809 1229   Fax. (call phone first)
Mob. (cell) +61 412 461 558
Email. "Hedley Finger" <hfinger at handholding.com.au>