[scribus] 1.3.5 Windows spelling checker ?

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 02:34:19 CEST 2008

Jeffrey Silverman wrote:

> I think the whole idea of spell checker is not really within the scope
> of what Scribus is going for.

My understanding was that one had been implemented in 1.3.5 -  not the
'spell as you type' kind which is a shame, but at least one which could
be invoked within the story editor.

> The idea is,

:)   Whose idea is ?

I know software development isn't a democracy, but I think what you're
about to say certainly isn't my idea...

> write your text outside
> Scribus, using somehting with a spellchecker (OpenOffice is probably
> best) and then import the text into Scribus. Scribus is for the
> layout, not the actual content creation.

Yada. I've heard this before and I've never agreed with it. I've always
developed the layout and content of documents at the same time in
Pagemaker, InDe and Scribus.

At the moment I develop in Scribus 1.3.3.12, then cut and paste into OO
or word to check spelling. This sucks, but at least I get the right
interaction between text and layout.

I know that _they_, whoever _they_ are, say that my approach is
WRONG(tm), but it's how _I_ find it easiest to work, and I don't get the
impression that I'm totally alone.

What you suggest might make perfect sense for a newspaper production
work flow, but I don't think it helps an individual prepare a document
about the use of heat pumps operating from warm springs. Not all of us
work in a press environment with staff dedicated to different tasks.

Anyway - as I recall, this debate was done to death a while back, and a
checker was being implemented for which I'm truly grateful !

So -  sorry to be contentious, but it really annoys me when people tell
me that a tool can only be used their way. Why assume the other options
should be so lightly dismissed ?

Cheers, J/.
Carbon Trust Consultant: Energy Audit, Carbon Footprint, Design Advice
Energy Efficiency Accreditation Scheme, (EEAS), Registered Assessor