[scribus] 1.3.5 Windows spelling checker ?

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Thu Aug 21 06:46:12 CEST 2008

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 01:34:19 +0100
John Beardmore <John at T4sLtd.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
> My understanding was that one had been implemented in 1.3.5 -
> not the 'spell as you type' kind which is a shame, but at
> least one which could be invoked within the story editor.

I wrote the initial spell-checking plugin which works with
aspell as the back-end. I haven't touched it in a while, so
not sure if it has been modified further.

I will take a look at it again this weekend, including
looking at the Windows port. By the way, the reason it
cannot currently be "spell as you type" is because that
would require some changes to the way text is processed
in Scribus.

> > The idea is,
>
> :)   Whose idea is ?
>
> I know software development isn't a democracy, but I think what you're
> about to say certainly isn't my idea...
[...]

I hesitate to get into this debate, but if the spell-checker
is implemented as a plugin, I think that it adds minimal
code-bloat for people that do not want to use it, and I do
not quite see why one would go out of one's way to bar the
inclusion of a spell-checker plugin.

Regards,
Gora