[scribus] Initial impression, and help getting 1.3.3.12

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Aug 14 03:05:16 CEST 2008

I have the Debian stable, unstable, and etch/volatile repositories
added. I can install from the repositories okay. MEPIS uses Synaptic,
which I've figured out how to work okay (pretty easy). The problem seems
to be that 1.3.3.12 isn't in the repositories for MEPIS or Debian.
That's how I got 1.3.3.6 installed. I don't think MEPIS has an official
(developer run) repository, but the user/support group started one. It
appears that Debian stable has version 1.2.6, unstable has 1.3.3.6.
Maybe "testing" has 1.3.3.12? I'll try adding it and see, I guess. I
also got to experience using "apt-get" from the command line to get the
PGP encryption key. Someone on the MEPIS list sent me the command line
to get Scribus that way, and I installed it, but they apparently didn't
check the version or didn't realize I was looking for a specific
version. 1.2.6 was installed! I managed to use Synaptic to update it,
and got 1.3.3.6, which should be better anyway. I'm not sure I'll run
into any problems with 1.3.3.6, was looking for .12 because it was
recommended, and got VERY frustrated that I couldn't find it in a form I
could easily download and install. Never had that problem before with
any system. As long as new Linux users stick with the repository
supported by their distro it seems to be pretty easy, but anything
outside of that is another story. Yeah, I got spoiled by Windows, but it
really shouldn't be so hard to install software. Windows has the built
in installer, which is pretty much what Synaptic appears to do, just in
a more visible and interactive way. Frustrating the first time or two
when you're used to doing it by downloading a zip file, unpacking the
file in a folder, then just run an installer executable -- or just
running a self extracting/installing file. ------------------ Date: Wed,
13 Aug 2008 15:33:04 -0400 From: Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>
Frank Swygert wrote:

> > I'm new to Linux, and have found installing software more than a bit
> > on the frustrating side, unless it's in one of the repositories
> > supported by the distro being used. That's why I have 1.3.3.6 even
> > though this list suggested 1.3.3.12. I have no desire to d/l source
> > and compile, I'm too new to Linux for that! I find it VERY frustrating
> > that I can't simply locate a program, d/l, and install.

We should be able to walk you through this, Frank.

Check:
http://www.scribus.net/?q=debian

If you understand about debian repositories, try adding the Debian Etch.
as shown at the lower part of the page. If you need more specifics, let
us know what you know about how MEPIS installs and updates software.
MEPIS itself should have some information about repositories also. Once
you get it set up properly it should be almost automatic.

Greg

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"