[scribus] Initial impression, and help getting 1.3.3.12

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Aug 14 03:42:35 CEST 2008

Frank Swygert wrote:
> I have the Debian stable, unstable, and etch/volatile repositories
> added. I can install from the repositories okay. MEPIS uses Synaptic,
> which I've figured out how to work okay (pretty easy). The problem
> seems to be that 1.3.3.12 isn't in the repositories for MEPIS or
> Debian. That's how I got 1.3.3.6 installed. I don't think MEPIS has an
> official (developer run) repository, but the user/support group
> started one. It appears that Debian stable has version 1.2.6, unstable
> has 1.3.3.6. Maybe "testing" has 1.3.3.12? I'll try adding it and see,
> I guess. I also got to experience using "apt-get" from the command
> line to get the PGP encryption key. Someone on the MEPIS list sent me
> the command line to get Scribus that way, and I installed it, but they
> apparently didn't check the version or didn't realize I was looking
> for a specific version. 1.2.6 was installed! I managed to use Synaptic
> to update it, and got 1.3.3.6, which should be better anyway. I'm not
> sure I'll run into any problems with 1.3.3.6, was looking for .12
> because it was recommended, and got VERY frustrated that I couldn't
> find it in a form I could easily download and install. Never had that
> problem before with any system. As long as new Linux users stick with
> the repository supported by their distro it seems to be pretty easy,
> but anything outside of that is another story. Yeah, I got spoiled by
> Windows, but it really shouldn't be so hard to install software.
> Windows has the built in installer, which is pretty much what Synaptic
> appears to do, just in a more visible and interactive way. Frustrating
> the first time or two when you're used to doing it by downloading a
> zip file, unpacking the file in a folder, then just run an installer
> executable -- or just running a self extracting/installing file.
I don't know much about debian and Synaptic, but there is a detailed
explanation of how to add the Scribus repositories on the page I included:
http://www.scribus.net/?q=debian

It looks like you want to Search the appropriate repositories, then
specifically indicate the version you want to install. As I do a little
manual searching, I can see that scribus_1.3.3.12.dfsg... is in the
repository, so there shouldn't be any reason you can't find it and install.

Greg