[scribus] ! ;-)

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Aug 13 05:41:40 CEST 2008

Louis Desjardins wrote:
> JLuc a écrit :
>>> What are word styles? Scribus 1.3.3.x has paragraph styles and
>>> imports them from ODT, SXW and HTML and, of course, its own files.
>>> Scribus 1.3.5 has character styles, so could you be more specific
>>> about its alleged shortcomings, please?
>>
>> I have great hopes toward future versions,
>> and that is why i keep informed and try each new version.
>>
>> However I am afraid the 1.3.5 wont fit my needs
>> (I was once said that only the 1.3.6 would have the
>> "through linked-text-frames selection actions" bug corrected).

>>> you always join the list when someone asks if he should use the
>>> program and tell all readers that it's completely
>> useless for you and that it's utter crap anyway.
>
> Isn’t there a tiny bit of dramatisation here? A quick review of the
> archive reveals that the poster has been quite openly participating to
> discussions, providing some useful hints, comments, and even offering
> his help to contribute to the wiki. All this with a friendly tone. At
> least, it sounded like that to me. The expression "utter crap" itself
> was not his choice of words either. I am not too sure whether this way
> of "summarizing" one’s thoughts is at all constructive. I am only
> questionning here.
Without taking any individual person's side here, I think that perhaps
there was too much "painting with a broad brush" on both sides, and I
perceived a lot of negativity from both directions. Perhaps each found
his breaking point, but the mailing list has a history of becoming a
sounding board for complaints, which periodically lead to reminders or
some redirection to let posters know that valid points, to be useful to
the project and other users, need to find their way to the bug reports
so they can be appropriately addressed.
We really don't have a need for those unwilling to genuinely help
Scribus. Scribus has been made available much as someone might invite
visitors into our "home" to share what there is to offer. There is going
to be some limit as to how much and what kind of criticism is acceptable
as part of that hospitality.

Greg