[scribus] stability (was: New Linux User -- Scribus in place of PageMaker 6?)

Lars Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Wed Aug 6 18:19:51 CEST 2008

As long as we do not know when the instabilities occur, we cannot comment too much. I had crashes only because of memory management in scribus, when highly detailed eps-drawings caused the pdf-export to crash. This means that I cannot use the "recompress vector" setting in the pdf-export dialog with anything higher then 96dpi. The drawings are CAD-generated, with hatches, sometimes 10MB of pure vector-eps. If any of the developers wants to confirm this I can send a sample. Scribus hits a limit with huge vector grapghics in pdf export. I never expect crashes beside this. Working on 1.3.12 on Windows XP, 1.3.6 on Linux (bad, but I have no newer binary for Debian etch) and 1.3.8 on OS X 10.3.9.

CU Lars.