[scribus] New Linux User -- Scribus in place of PageMaker 6?

Jeffrey Silverman jeffrey.d.silverman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 14:16:58 CEST 2008

(NOTE: Hey, Frank, and all Scribus mailing list, I'm not yelling at
you! It is just that verbal tone is missing from textual content. I'll
stick smileys in all over the place if it will help)

:)

Hi. :) I can't figure it out -- NO ONE but me has the same issues
about Scribus' quirks??? Or Scribus' instability??? I'm not exactly a
computer novice... ;)

I don't have any trouble with the DTPINWP part -- I'm the one that
made that acronym up, remember? :) :)

The move from Scribus 1.2 to 1.3 was an enormous jump in usability.
Like I said, for example, the usable Undo feature, finally. But
Scribus still has a lot of "quirks" that are not part of the DTP
equation. Give me a week and I'll document them, post them, and see
how people respond.

Also, I will admit that I use "Scribus-ng" (which is now 1.3.5svn)
more than the "stable" version because I think it is that much better
that it is worth the instability hassles. But I experienced a good bit
of instability with the 1.3.3.X branch. Also, the ads I've been
working on are in 1.3.4 or 1.3.5 and I can't open them with 1.3.3 so
I'd have to start from scratch.

My version was 1.3.3.whatever installed from the default Ubuntu repos.
Maybe that's the problem? The default Ubuntu repos? I have heard of
issues regarding Ubuntu's Scribus releases, but since it always
installed fine for me, I just used it. My "scribus-ng" release is from
the Scribus repos.

Okay, I'll be back with complaints. :)

later...

<snip!>