[scribus] New Linux User -- Scribus in place of PageMaker 6?

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Wed Aug 6 02:15:11 CEST 2008

My answers/remarks mixed below:

From: "Jeffrey Silverman"
Alright, three hundred words and I haven't even addressed your
questions. Sorry. Some suggestions for getting MEPIS to load:

1) Are you sure you burned (burnt?) the CD as an ISO image? NOT as a
"data cd"!! It must use the "burn ISO image" mode of whatever burning
software you are using.

Frank:
YES -- I have been using Nero 7 and choosing "burn a disk image", and ISO is one of the images it looks for. I can't get a clean burn no matter which of two computers I use or which brand CD. I think the CD-ROM on my backup machine might be going bad, but then my main machine had the same problems reading the same CD. I also discovered that if you interrupt MEPIS while it's installing video drivers it can turn the video off! It doesn't come back upon reboot on my Acer LCD either, which is scary until you figure out what happened. A CRT screen seems to reinitialize with a simple power off/on, the LCD has to be disconnected from the computer and reconnected (computer on). Found that by accident. I used the default boot on MEPIS -- it has a boot for digital screens, maybe I should use that with the LCD (on my main computer -- I thought the live CD had somehow written to the BIOS or hard drive boot sector at first!).