[scribus] New Linux User -- Scribus in place of Page Maker 6?

hjh at mail.fsub.de hjh at mail.fsub.de
Tue Aug 5 20:11:41 CEST 2008

Hello Frank,

after the private mail about OS9 and 68xx(x) here my experiences to
Linux and Scribus:

Hello community,

I use Scribus on SUSE 10.3, download Scribus from opensuse-Download
I don't have any problems, neither with SUSE - which I am using for
years now - nor with Scribus 1.3.3.12 - after the installing (see the
other track - only install the stable version - don't install two
versions).

I am using Scribus for a book layout, only text, no pictures.

I imported the text from odt-files. The paragraph-style is imported, too.
I use the odt-files to create the table of contents and the index, which
you can import as well, writing these pages only into a separate file.
(The orginal files were html-files - with the layout for the web as well
as for the scribus-pdf-files. OOo imports them keeping the styles, but
you can't see them in odt-files, but they are there and a transported
into scribus.)

Problems with Scribus? The knowledge is scattered over different media.
You have to read a lot of pages in the beginning, to get to know, where
you could perhaps find information on a specific question.

This list, of course, is very helpfull. But it is very "busy", I mean
you have to read a lot - and, of course, one doesn't want to bother the
list with problems, already documented.

Then, beware of the term "master pages". It's misleading. (In German
"Musterseiten" - as well). They are -not- templates. But something
you can coin / mould your pages with. It's a good concept - and -
should not be altered or given up. But the term "master pages" /
"Musterseiten" should be changed. In German it could be "Mater",
a printing business term from the good old days for something
used as a mould. (Mater = lat: mother - of a page)

I think it's essential to coin terms, that express the function.
And if there is no term, that expresses the function correctly,
then don't use something "nearby". This induces the misunderstandings.
Coin a new term.

Bye for now

Hans-Josef Heck