[scribus] New Linux User -- Scribus in place of Page Maker 6?

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Wed Aug 6 11:00:20 CEST 2008

Hi!

> amazingly featureful and powerful. I do not thing Scribus is very
> stable AT ALL. Others may disagree. But I am used to having Scribus
> crash on me ALL THE TIME.

I experience some scribus crashes from time to time, but they are
related to too complicated drawings. I have a lot of eps'es generated
from CAD drawings, including hatches, with postscript (vector) file
sizes up to 10MB. Scribus crashes on my machine when generating pdf with
the output-resolution for vector graphics set to more then 200dpi. I
"solve" this by using pdf-export only for screen display, and taking the
print-to-file way to generate high-resolution ps. Besides that, I found
it very difficult to crash scribus (but I avoid large font collections
and the like). All in all, it seams that memory handling is not that
optimal, when compared to what Quark 2 achieved on a Mac with 64MB. It
seams that Scribus does more operations on the postscript files'
content, requiring more memory and maybe leading to crashes, while Quark
was just sticking them together without much processing?

CU Lars.
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature