[scribus] How to make clickable url in pdf file.

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Apr 29 22:17:22 CEST 2008

John Culleton wrote:
> I use Scribus 1.3.3.11.
>
> I have searched the manual and the wiki. I want to make a clickable
> URL link in my Scribus document. I go to the box marked  "Insert PDF
> Annotations" and click on "Link" which has the the footprint icon on
> it.  When I drag this into a box on the document and go into the
> story editor I change the default font to a Truetype and type in the
> text. It saves just fine.  But at export time I get a "red" prepress
> error saying I am using a non-Truetype font. And if I ignore that the
> link doesn't appear on the exported pdf.
>
> Hints?

Click the toolbar PDF icon, choose link. Make a frame for your link.
Right click for context menu, select PDF Options > Annotation Properties
This brings up a dialog, in which you need to understand the terminology.

Link: this is simply a link to somewhere else in your current PDF
document, identified by page and location on the page
External Link: this will load another PDF document into your reader
Web Link: this will be where you can put in a URL for the internet to
link to. This will typically work with an embedded Adobe Reader in your
browser, but can work with Adobe Reader and your browser if your
computer is configured to do that.

None of this has anything to do with text you enter in Story Editor.
Typically, even if you use a TrueType font you will see nothing in this
link frame in Adobe Reader -- you will probably need to overlay this
link frame on some visible object in order to see where it is, though
you will see a tooltip when your cursor is positioned over it.

Greg