[scribus] How to make clickable url in pdf file.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Apr 30 14:55:34 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 29 April 2008 04:17:22 pm Gregory Pittman wrote:
> John Culleton wrote:
> > I use Scribus 1.3.3.11.
> >
> > I have searched the manual and the wiki. I want to make a
> > clickable URL link in my Scribus document. I go to the box marked
> >  "Insert PDF Annotations" and click on "Link" which has the the
> > footprint icon on it.  When I drag this into a box on the
> > document and go into the story editor I change the default font
> > to a Truetype and type in the text. It saves just fine.  But at
> > export time I get a "red" prepress error saying I am using a
> > non-Truetype font. And if I ignore that the link doesn't appear
> > on the exported pdf.
> >
> > Hints?
>
> Click the toolbar PDF icon, choose link. Make a frame for your
> link. Right click for context menu, select PDF Options > Annotation
> Properties This brings up a dialog, in which you need to understand
> the terminology.
>
> Link: this is simply a link to somewhere else in your current PDF
> document, identified by page and location on the page
> External Link: this will load another PDF document into your reader
> Web Link: this will be where you can put in a URL for the internet
> to link to. This will typically work with an embedded Adobe Reader
> in your browser, but can work with Adobe Reader and your browser if
> your computer is configured to do that.
>
> None of this has anything to do with text you enter in Story
> Editor. Typically, even if you use a TrueType font you will see
> nothing in this link frame in Adobe Reader -- you will probably
> need to overlay this link frame on some visible object in order to
> see where it is, though you will see a tooltip when your cursor is
> positioned over it.
>
> Greg

Thanks for the above guidance.

Unfortunately the problem persists.  I get the same error message as
soon as I create the link. The default font on my system is Bitstream
Charter Italic.  I need to change that to something TTF and try
again. Where do I set that default font? Scribus 1.3.3.11 on
Slackware Linux 12.

--
John Culleton