[scribus] Multiple copies of Scribus Open

Roger hovergo at net-tech.com.au
Tue Apr 29 01:44:43 CEST 2008

 > One possible issue / feature / bug though, is that it's possible to open
 > >> the same file more than once without changing its name.
 > >>
 > >> I don't know if this should be classed as a bug or not, but I'd have
 > >> though it might merit a warning from the application as bad things might
 > >> happen !
 > >>
 > I think it remains to be seen whether this is a problem (and what kind
 > it is). If someone has bad experiences, I think it's up to them to make
 > their case as to how it should work.

I have come very unstuck and lost significant work due to 2  or more copies of
the same file open without realising it.
It is not the fault of Scribus.

Linux permits  a number of simultaneous desktops and, I have, without realising
it, had scribus open on each and then have been altering a version of my
newsletter on one instance/desktop which is not reflected in the other desktop
instances, hence  have saved modifications then closed the wrong instance losing
the changes.

I would like a message to pop up when saving and / or closing an instance,
reporting that other instances of this file are open and the mods/alterations
may be lost.  Maybe a popup that says "You have saved changes from another
desktop instance at 'time am/pm' these will be lost if you continue.

I still need 2 or 3 instances of Scribus open simultaneously in order to work on
a number of different documents and trial design layouts for the same version of
a file without resorting to the windows/tile/cascade within Scribus.
TIA
Roger