[Scribus] Manual - interesting feedback

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Tue Oct 23 22:51:48 CEST 2007

I'm trying to absorb all the messages, and have to say that this is very
stimulating.

I would emphasize that this intro is a test balloon, and at least for
the moment I want to focus on trying to fix the fixable rather than
simply abandoning it. In that regard, Andreas's comments are most
welcome and worth working on. This may end up showing us what any Master
Pages need to look like.
I began this already aware of the arguments against a manual, but still
felt it worthwhile since many if not most are more philosophical than
demonstrated. The interesting thing is to see how much easier the wiki
is as a cooperative effort than this manual. The manual it seems shows
you while you might consider having a meal made by a number of chefs,
you wouldn't want a number of chefs working on a single course. In fact,
we might well see how different "chefs" prepare different parts of the
manual. There have been discussions about what comprises "good" design,
and conceivably a manual might demonstrate some principles many could
agree  or disagree ;-) upon.

1.3.3.x versus 1.3.4+
My feeling is that if we target 1.3.4+ for the manual we are trying to
make it for something not fully functional. There was general agreement
that even when 1.2.x became outmoded, there was value to the tutorial in
its original state. Like the tutorial, I don't see the manual as being
targeted to the most advanced user or cutting edge versions. Aside from
that, since this will be an "open source" manual, it can be updated
whenever desired or necessary. One can take a version and "fork" it at
any time.

Wiki versus Manual
While we might think that there is some "pot" of energy out there, from
which we can ladle either into the Wiki or the Manual, I disagree. We
all see times when we have boundless energy, other  times when we seem
to get nothing new done. Some creative tension like we're seeing here
/can/ be invigorating, and there is no reason why the Wiki and Manual
cannot feed off each other in that regard.

Greg