[Scribus] Manual - first baby step

Jan Schrewe jschrewe
Tue Oct 23 21:12:28 CEST 2007

Thomas Zastrow schrieb am Dienstag, 23. Oktober 2007:
> Louis Desjardins schrieb:
>
> <snip />
>
> > I agree the lines are too long. That was the first thing that came to
> > mind when I saw the page.
> >
> > I have not much to add on top of Andreas' comments. One thing tho is
> > the fact that the PDF is not searchable and this, I am afraid, will
> > take away much of the interest for such a piece of work (for some
> > people at least). I understand this is meant to be printed to address
> > a specific need but some others who have not shown up yet will ask for
> > this searchability and will complain... !!! :)
> >
> > I also think with Peter Nermander on what version we have to
> > concentrate since Scribus is a fast moving target.
> >
> > By the responses on the list, I understand Greg's initiative is
> > actually addressing a real need. No doubt for me that in the long run
> > it's going to be an interesting plus to Scribus. In the short and mid
> > term I'm a bit afraid that this will take up quite a bit of vital energy.
> >
> > I still vote for the wiki, written and video! :)
> >
> > I think it's going to be easier to update and also to translate.
> >
> > I hope not to sound too discouraging. This is not my intention!!!
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Louis
>
> I agree that the fast development of Scribus is a problem for a static
> manual.  But I think that the basics of Scribus - several kindes of
> frames, importing / exporting and so on, is more or less stable. The
> manual could be organized in two parts: one with the "basics" and one
> with the enhanced features. The latter one could be expanded as the
> development of Scribus goes on.

Do we really need a manual that tells the reader: click on button a and you
will get a textframe? Thta is nice but I think what I was always looking for
when I started DTP was something like: I want to have a text on the page.
Okay, how big do I make the text frame and what the heck is colour management
and for what do I need to know how much DPI my picture has.

My point is: It is not really exciting to see how I put a textframe on the
page - I believe scribus is intuitive enough that even a beginner can use
it - if he understood the basic concepts of a DTP app and a little bit about
design in general. Most of the questions on the list are in the same manner.

So what about writing an introduction to DTP with scribus as example. On that
way beginners get the help they need and the book is less dependent on where
is the button, because most of the concepts do not change fast, it's just the
way they are handled and that is something most people I know are able to
find out if they know what they want.

cheers

Jan