[Scribus] Manual - first baby step

John Beardmore John
Sat Oct 27 14:15:23 CEST 2007

Jan Schrewe wrote:

> Do we really need a manual that tells the reader: click on button a and you
> will get a textframe? Thta is nice but I think what I was always looking for
> when I started DTP was something like: I want to have a text on the page.
> Okay, how big do I make the text frame and what the heck is colour management
> and for what do I need to know how much DPI my picture has.
>
> My point is: It is not really exciting to see how I put a textframe on the
> page - I believe scribus is intuitive enough that even a beginner can use
> it - if he understood the basic concepts of a DTP app and a little bit about
> design in general. Most of the questions on the list are in the same manner.
>
> So what about writing an introduction to DTP with scribus as example. On that
> way beginners get the help they need and the book is less dependent on where
> is the button, because most of the concepts do not change fast, it's just the
> way they are handled and that is something most people I know are able to
> find out if they know what they want.

I know what you mean, but I can see both sides of the fence.  Having
used Pagemaker and InDesign, I don't have any problem using 1339 under
windows 2000 to prepare documents.  On the other hand, I notice that
printing with PCL to our Dell 5110cn printer I tend to get a slight
purple cast on slightly dark pictures.

Given that I don't want to spend ages in a darkened room calibrating a
full CMS, and it would do just to 'turn up the green in the pictures a
bit', I could really do with something that points me at whatever
controls might be handy for that !

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore, MSc EDM (Open), B.A. Chem (Oxon), CMIOSH, AIEMA, MEI.
Carbon Trust Consultant -  Energy Audit and Design Advice.