[Scribus] Manual - first baby step

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins
Tue Oct 23 20:34:01 CEST 2007

2007/10/23, avox <avox at arcor.de>:

> Ok, now I was able to download it. :-)
>

> Gregory Pittman wrote:
> >

> > There were many arbitrary decisions -- paper size, for one. I started
> > out with US Letter, then switched to A4 because I needed a little more
> > space. The fonts are Linux Libertine, so ended up being outlined in the
> > PDF. I thought about making two columns, wasn't sure I liked the idea,
> > so went with one. The PDF is 1.4 -- my default setting.
> >

> I also support some layout which fits on A4 / Letter.
> In your sample the lines are too long -- they should have 10-12 words max.

I agree the lines are too long. That was the first thing that came to mind
when I saw the page.

I have not much to add on top of Andreas' comments. One thing tho is the
fact that the PDF is not searchable and this, I am afraid, will take away
much of the interest for such a piece of work (for some people at least). I
understand this is meant to be printed to address a specific need but some
others who have not shown up yet will ask for this searchability and will
complain... !!! :)

I also think with Peter Nermander on what version we have to concentrate
since Scribus is a fast moving target.

By the responses on the list, I understand Greg's initiative is actually
addressing a real need. No doubt for me that in the long run it's going to
be an interesting plus to Scribus. In the short and mid term I'm a bit
afraid that this will take up quite a bit of vital energy.

I still vote for the wiki, written and video! :)

I think it's going to be easier to update and also to translate.

I hope not to sound too discouraging. This is not my intention!!!

Cheers!

Louis

In order to make it aesthetically pleasing and more readable I propose to