[Scribus] Manual - first baby step

avox avox
Tue Oct 23 20:11:55 CEST 2007

Ok, now I was able to download it. :-)

Gregory Pittman wrote:

> There were many arbitrary decisions -- paper size, for one. I started
> out with US Letter, then switched to A4 because I needed a little more
> space. The fonts are Linux Libertine, so ended up being outlined in the
> PDF. I thought about making two columns, wasn't sure I liked the idea,
> so went with one. The PDF is 1.4 -- my default setting.

I also support some layout which fits on A4 / Letter.
In your sample the lines are too long -- they should have 10-12 words max.

In order to make it aesthetically pleasing and more readable I propose to
use
only the inner 60% (or 61.8%) of the page for one text column and have a
wide margin space at the outer edge. This margin space can be used for
keywords, subtitles, etc.  Screenshots would also extend into the margin
space.

If your titles have a larger fontsize than the body text, do not check
"adjust
to baseline" but set appropiate space before / space after values instead.
(Eg. bodytext lineheight 12pt, title fontsize 14pt, title lineheight 14pt,
then
calculate spaces such that a one-line title occupies the same space as 3
lines of
bodytext: 3*12 = 36 = 14 + 14 + 8, so space before = 14pt, space after =
8pt)
Or, if you want to adjust your titles to baseline, set both space before and
space
after to 12 pt. That way there will be 2 empty line before and 1 empty line
after
these titles (and a 24pt linespacing if you have more than one line for the
title).

Cheers,
/Andreas