[Scribus] Manual - first baby step

william f. maddock billsey
Tue Oct 23 13:09:09 CEST 2007

On Oct 22, 2007, at 10:24 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:

> Here is a link to a potential introductory page for our manual.
>
> ftp://www.infoisfree.com/scribus/scribusmanual.pdf
>
> This is on my own website (note that it's ftp) -- it's about 603KB. I'm
> hoping to generate some feedback about how people like it from as many
> aspects as you care to mention.
>
> There were many arbitrary decisions -- paper size, for one. I started
> out with US Letter, then switched to A4 because I needed a little more
> space. The fonts are Linux Libertine, so ended up being outlined in the
> PDF. I thought about making two columns, wasn't sure I liked the idea,
> so went with one. The PDF is 1.4 -- my default setting.
>
> I might add that this page was (and hopefully not many others will be)
> written from scratch, because I really didn't want and I don't think
> the
> manual either should get bogged down in a multipage introduction that
> very quickly becomes the least useful part of the manual. If someone is
> looking for detail, I send them to other docs.
>
> Greg

Excellently written, nice layout (it only just fits the printable area
of the US Letter on my color laser :-) ), however, if we are going to
have page numbers and allow for the three-hole-punch method of binding
(scratch that; I just tested it and it does fine as is), wider margins
might be desirable. Although I like the way you've done the paragraphs
(it breaks the text up nicely) eliminating the blank lines between
paragraphs and indenting the non-initial paragraphs of any section
could provide the space needed for wider top and bottom margins (thus
allowing both US Letter and A4 users to print without the need for
reducing the image).
http://www.lulu.com/billsey