[Scribus] Example of what...[OT]

scribus at bloomingpouf.com scribus
Fri Oct 12 13:12:03 CEST 2007

Greg's comments on Psychology and Design - what a wonderful thing to
have happen!

Having spent years working in different areas of the visual media from
Theatre - Film - TV - Event Management - and design it is too true that
the Psychology of what the viewer sees and apprehends is all too often
forgotten,  ignored and sidelined due to the fixed attitudes of the
person who is the designer. It's like the difference between the spoken
word and the written word. Writing copy which gives the reader the
perception that they are being addressed directly is a play on the
readers psychology and their perception. The same is true of Visual
Perception and an area that is sorely ignored in the design field.

Again having to prepare designs where there is multiple input by
committee is a headache - and as we say on this (GB) side of the pond -
"A Committee Takes Minutes and Wastes Hours!" - and "..Is An Animal With
A Minimum Of Six Legs And NO Brain!".

It is quite interesting how folks at the design stage fail to look at
the image in front of them and only view content. I have been working
with a voluntary organisation in laying out promotional materials and
having a degree in Psychology and extensive design experience across
many fields, I have been using ever perceptual trick in the book to deal
with a number of Intransigent Officials and those with an egocentric
view of design and their views of personal importance in the design
process. One simple example is one person insisting that an black and
white image be shrunk on a page when text was set to block against the
image. They could see no problem with the text suddenly jutting out
under the image and terminating half way under the image - leaving text
hanging in mid air.

I just replaced the image with a grey colour block replaced all text
with Lorem Ipsum and then bang it out as an image file. Shrink the page
image from say A4 to just 200 px wide and then ask folks to express a
preference as to which one they prefer - and low and behold they all go
for the one that has no hanging text. That settled that one in just
three minutes. The images presented were so small they could see no text
- but they could see a black line in the wrong place.

Distorting a face to have more baby like features - folks prefer the
image that has the features of a child! There are deep rooted biological
imperatives within us that deeply affect how we receive information
visually... and failing to heed these causes designs to fail or give at
best a poor message and at worst the wrong message.

In the same way, I was asked to prepare a poster design for a voluntary
group raising money for a charity at a music concert. Historically these
posters had prepared these using Ms Word and produced finished designs
that were of such poor quality that the Charity were refusing to allow
their name to be used in future. The design was damaging the charities
image and reputation.

Replacing the past efforts with full colour - strong bold images and
highly visible text created quite a wow factor.... then the politics
began with the conductor demanding that their name had to be a certain
size and that the names of soloists and orchestra leader had to be
included in specific positions ... all these demands destroyed the image
and with it the message. Again simply preparing two versions replacing
all text with Lorem Ipsum and showing both as small images settled the
arguments quickly. The design that worked on the viewer was adopted and
the one that dealt with Ego and Personal perception and egocentric
demands was rejected as it blocked the message. Creating Consensus is a
trick that is easy if you know how!

Giving the folks the chance to cut their own throats psychological is
tool that really should be built into Scribus... but I'm sure the
programmers would want to patent such a a facility as it would be far
too valuable for just open source P^))

It is important that designers don't get carried away with design,
believing it is the be all and end all - it's the person apprehending
the image/design - the reader/viewer who is in reality the most
important person!

However, I have seen one design recently where inverse psychology was
used to dissuade clients from ordering one product and focus their
attention on another - the company had a better deal on the second
product and higher margins - so the design was altered to deal with
marketing needs. Some purists would argue that this was a perversion of
the design process and the work of the designer - but in reality it
addressed the viewer and focused them where the company required!

Also, it is important that all clients are respected and creating a
design in any form that addresses the needs of the visually impaired is
a priority. If in doubt about a design it's a good trick to convert to
an image and use the Colour Display Facility In GIMP to check the
perception of folks with different forms of visual perception deficits -
Protanopia - Deuteranopia - Tritanopia - and you can also use the Gimp
implementation of ICC colour profiling to good effect as well! Doing
this at the earliest stage checking colours used and text on colour can
reveal one hell of a lot and allow for decisions to be made on colour
combinations that  whilst not exactly what the designer has in mind will
ensure that all viewers of the finished product can extract information
that is useful!

The Scribus colour settings are useful to achieve this, but fail to
allow for the designer to really see any problems in real world ways and
look at a whole design of the fly.

If it were possible to have print preview with suitable filtering to
check for visual deficits activated as required, this would be a bonus
in Scribus. It would also protect the amateur designer who is cutting
their teeth on Scribus from falling into this trap!

Again. Greg's input on Design / Psychology and Neurology are most on
point and most welcome.

TTFN

@~>~>~~~