[Scribus] First time user printing problems

avox avox
Thu Oct 11 20:47:11 CEST 2007

Tom Stoddard-2 wrote:

> Martin,
>
> We did try this and the pdf printed as poorly as the original document
> printed from Scribus. It looked different but still had many of the same
> problems.
>
> Since then we've had some success by changing some of the advanced
> settings in the printer's options. The printer's postscript driver
> allows us to specify one of several settings for ICM Method under Image
> Color Management. It was disabled by default and we changed it to "ICM
> handled by printer". Under printer features in the advanced options,
> there is a setting for pure black text/graphics which was disabled by
> default. We switched that setting to "On". Right below that option was
> one called "Black Overprint". We changed that from disabled to "text".
> Now everything is printing clearly from within Scribus. The "double
> vision" has been resolved. The only problem we're noticing now is that
> colors aren't rendering consistently. We are producing a six page
> newsletter. Four of the pages are being printed to one 11 x 17 sheet and
> the other two pages are being printed onto one 8.5 x 11 sheet. There is
> a solid bar of red across the top of all of the pages. It's the same
> color but it appears substantially different on the 11 x 17 as it does
> on the 8.5 x 11. On the 8.5 x 11, it looks brown.

Is the red bar printed with the same orientation to the print engine?
Sometimes the halftoning produces different results when rotated 90?.

> Unfortunately, both me and the person working on this newsletter are
> busy doing multiple other tasks and we can't seem to find the time to
> focus on this and diagnose it correctly. Printing from InDesign on the
> Mac was never problematic so we weren't prepared for these difficulties.

Well, I guess the Indesign person knew from experience which settings
to choose.
AFAIK your fiery engine enables ICC based color management, so you
should enable that. From Scribus you should also activate color management
and check "Embed Profiles with Images" and uncheck "Ignore embedded
Profiles".
(Those options are for PDF export). Then Scribus should produce correctly
color-managed PDFs.

You wont get around reading the documentation for your printer driver.
For color-management to work correctly, the driver needs to know what
ICC profile to use, eg. US Coated or US Uncoated. Also, as I said above,
check that the fiery engine is active. A friend of mine has a Toshiba
without
a fiery engine, and the color results are not convincing.

HTH
/Andreas