[Scribus] Example of what...[OT]

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Sun Oct 7 00:43:04 CEST 2007

Asif Lodhi wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> On 10/6/07, Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:
>
>> dbeach at klikmaker.com wrote:
>>
>>> This is my first submission to this mailing list. If it's not
>>> appropriate for this list, I apologize in advance.
>>>
>>> http://www.klikmaker.com/pdf/211TestPage.pdf
>>>

>> Let me apologize if what I am about to say offends anyone, but let me
>> preface it to say that as I look at the page, it's a bit disheartening
>> to see sophisticated tools being used to end up with a design with
>> problems. ......................................
>>

> I think design critique is really valuable. It could be yet another
> valuable benefit to the list users (read: fledgling users like me!) if
> acceptable on a continuous basis. Perhaps we could have a forum on
> Scribus.net where users could upload their PDF page-layouts along with
> SLAs. Such a forum  would have a facility to post reviewing comments
> as well. Perhaps Google Ads could be placed in the right-hand margins
> of all forum discussions to let Google take note of the subject matter
> and display related ads to enable Scribus to earn some ad revenue.
>
> The other day I was browsing coroflot and logopond and that's how it
> goes there. People post their stuff and other guys post their comments
> on the stuff posted. Inkscape is vibrantly discussed on different
> forums. May be Scribus could also have a forum like that on
> Scribus.net. Of course, things are discussed here on the list but I am
> talking about a place specifically designated for posting PDFs/SLAs
> for review/design critique of forum members. That could also result in
> more happy Scribus users with stuff to show off publicly.

Where I think it is useful in the "normal" context of the list, is when
people come to Scribus wanting to fashion something in the way that some
other software leads them, yet these automated features can be trite,
sometimes ugly, many times getting in the way of the purpose of the
document.
In this particular case, I thought that both the job of learning to make
the page with Scribus and the purpose could be improved with a simpler
design.

Greg