[Scribus] etiquette / scribus mailing list

Tornóci László torlasz
Sat Nov 17 09:59:22 CET 2007

Hi,

Roger, in Bangkok wrote:
> Some rather rude generalizations offered there, but be that as it may:-)
>
> Of what use is the preview feature, on virtually all email readers, when
> all that is being previewed is regurgitated topping?  For that reason
> alone I would probably not even have opened this, but since I just
> joined this list I tend to take a bit of extra time to look at more.

Top posting has its advantages (like the one you mention here), but I
agree with those, who say it has far more disadvantages. If you need the
simplicity and and convenience of natural speech, use chat instead of email.
Email is a way of communication, which is somewhere between speech and
published writing. In an email one may raise several points, others may
argue or comment with only some of those. Top posting makes it difficult
to see, what points are you replying to. This may cause confusion,
misunderstanding, more "noise". And yes, top posting leads to
sloppiness. People don't bother to edit, delete, even to read the lower
parts of the emails, so they get longer and longer, and discussions can
become off topic very easily.
One more point: there are several developers on this list, who are
willing to help the users. This is very valuable. Some of the developers
made it clear a couple of times they don't like top posting here. So I
guess let's simply honor their request instead of arguing about it.

					Yours: Laszlo