[Scribus] Applying Styles

jwminer at accessvt.com jwminer
Fri Nov 16 02:41:15 CET 2007

The current discussion about applying styles seems an opportune time
to bring up something that has always bothered me about Scribus. I
don't like the "text" option in the Properties window.

I think a DTP application should be based on frames and styles. If
you want body text, make a body text style. If you want headings,
make a heading style, a subhead style, whatever you need. If you
want a hanging indent, make a style for it. DON'T select text and
apply formatting that way. Styles permit easy global changes and
consistency of text elements throughout a document.

What's the point of having a text tab for a text box? Why not just
apply a paragraph style? I think having a text tab encourages bad
working habits, especially in new users who come from a word
processor.

I think the text tab should make accessing and applying paragraph
styles easy, but should not allow a setting for all the text in a
text box.
--Judy Miner
  USA

Registered Linux User #397786