[Scribus] line spacing only between paragraphs - how to?

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins
Wed May 30 17:44:21 CEST 2007

2007/5/30, Henry Hartley <henryhartley at westat.com>:

> Henry Hartley wrote:

> > Edit the style you use for your paragraph.  In the upper right of
> > the dialog there are five Distance settings.  The two with up and
> > down arrows and a paragraph symbol control leading and trailing
> > space for paragraphs.

> > This has been requested.  I cannot say when it will be addressed.
> > http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=204
>
> I just downloaded the new version 1.3.4.  The style editing dialog has
> been changed but the controls for paragraph spacing are still there on
> the Properties tag.  For getting drop caps only in your initial
> paragraph, do this (using whatever style names make sense to you):
>
> 1) Create a style "MyStyle-Initial" that you like and turn Drop
>    Caps on and set the way you want them.
> 2) Create a second style "MyStyle-Subsequent" and set "Based On"
>    to the "MyStyle-Initial" style.  For this style, make only one
>    change.  Turn Drop Caps off.
> 3) Make your initial paragraph "MyStyle-Initial" style and all the
>    subsequent paragraphs "MyStyle-Subsequent" style.
>
> If you change anything other than the drop cap settings in
> "MyStyle-Initial" it will flow through to the "MyStyle-Subsequent"
> style.  It isn't as good as being able to specify drop caps on all
> paragraphs or only the first paragraph but it's certainly better than
> nothing.

Isn't this actually the (only) way to go? (and it's fine like it is) I
wonder just how would anyone let the app know just what *is* a first
paragraph without tagging it in some way. Applying a stylesheet takes a few
secs. I know no other apps that would apply a drop cap (or btw any other
settings) *only to first* paragraph... And if there are, this feature must
have some drawbacks: you have to decide at one point when does that behavior
starts, when it ends... Unless the software *understands* what's on your
mind. Complicated. No? :)

Louis