[Scribus] Scribus on Edgy

Oleksandr Moskalenko malex
Mon May 21 21:01:46 CEST 2007

* Roger <hovergo at net-tech.com.au> [2007-05-19 18:15:52 +1000]:

> Update on this email and Alex's reply.
> I have 2 hard disks one still has FC6 with Scribus and the other Ubuntu
> Edgy-generic.
> I have not as yet compiled my own kernel so inherent problems don't exist (for now)
>
> I copied the Scribus folder and contents across from FC6 to /home/user/Scribus
> on Edgy.
>
> I renamed the Scribus directory to Scribus1 then used apt-get install Scribus
> but had error messages.
>
> I now seem to have 2 versions of Scribus 1.3.3.4 and 1.3.3.9  in the
> <Applications><Graphics> Drop down.

As I explain in http://debian.scribus.net I make two Scribus packages
currently - "scribus", which is a stable branch currently at version 1.3.3.9
and "scribus-ng" for those people who need new and exciting, but sometimes
highly unstable features, currently tracking 1.3.4cvs. You most likely should
install the "scribus" package at this time.

> It is difficult  to compile in Canonical Edgy generic because there are so
> many files missing which apparently cannot be installed under the generic
> banner.
>
> I Tried using the graphical update manager, maybe that's where the 1.3.3.4
> version came from. I will definitely let them know about the web page:--
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Getting_Scribus_on_Ubuntu/Kubuntu_up_and_running
> explains the process using Adept with screen shots to make it easier for
> them.
>
> Edgy-generic doesn't have Adept.

Well, use Synaptic in that case. It's simple and straightforward to use. Or
simply tell them to run "sudo aptitude install scribus" in a terminal or type
aptitude to start a ncurses interface, which is pretty simple, too.

> The main problem I had with Edgy was getting  libtiff.so.3. I copied
> libtiff.so.4  file across from FC6 to Edgy, renamed it libtiff.so.3 and the
> problem went away. Scribus works.

This is not really how debian/ubuntu works. In these distributions you should
let the package manager (aptitude/apt-get/synaptic/adept...) do all the work.
Your efforts should be confined to

a) adding a new repository
b) clicking on the "Install" button or hitting "g" in the aptitude after
selecting the appropriate package.
c) relax and forget about the technicalities as the system will keep those
packages upgraded when you run "aptitude upgrade" or click on the equivalent
button in a graphical PM. Nothing else to do, ever.

> Thank you Alex, your email is most helpful.
>
> Roger

I really hope that you will look at my suggestions above and get your users to
follow this simple pattern to avoid any trouble down the road.

Regards,

Alex.