[Scribus] font artifacts on Scribus PDFs

Craig Ringer craig
Fri May 4 21:10:54 CEST 2007

Christoph Sch?fer wrote:

> I just tried Futura Lt (ttf) in Scribus 1.3.3.9cvs. I can embed the font
> without issues, and if the font is embedded, the issue with "l" is gone. If I
> convert Futura, Arial, Myriad or most other sans serif font to outlines,
> the "l" issue persists.

Fat `l' and `I' characters are quite normal for un-hinted vector
conversions of fonts. Such PDFs will print fine, but don't look great on
screen.

Scribus can not embed:
	- OpenType fonts
	- Buggy fonts
	- certain fonts with flags set that prevent embedding (I think)
... and will convert them to outlines. Additionally, it does not yet
support true subsetting, and will actually convert fonts to outlines
when asked to subset them.

In these cases you'll get a PDF that prints perfectly, but doesn't as
good on low resolution output devices like computer screens. The only
workaround AFAIK is to embed the whole font, use one of the base 14 PDF
fonts, or use another tool to re-embed the fonts after producing the PDF
in Scribus.

--
Craig Ringer