[Scribus] font artifacts on Scribus PDFs

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Fri May 4 20:50:41 CEST 2007

Am Freitag, 4. Mai 2007 18:16 schrieb Gustavo Homem:
> Hi again,
>
> Replying to myself with an update:
> > > As to outlining fonts, it seems you are working with OpenType fonts.
> > > OTF can't be embedded in PDF files. They are outlined automatically.
> > > See:
> >
> > Again, is this a matter of how Scribus outlines the font? Since the font
> > is outlined the source of the problem seems not to be Adoba Reader,
> > right?
>
> Futura LT is actually a True Type font. However Scribus doesn't consider it
> embbedable: it is by default marked as "subset" on preferences.
>
> If I uncheck that, the problem with the "l" goes away but the font presents
> glitches on Adobe Reader as well.
>
> http://people.angulosolido.pt/~gustavo/scribus/probPDF/futura-no-subset.png
>
> Furthermore I confirmed that this font works OK with the Quark Xpress
> workflow.
>
> Comments? Should I open a bug report or are we doing anything wrong on our
> side?
>
> Best regards
> Gustavo

Hi Gustavo,

I just tried Futura Lt (ttf) in Scribus 1.3.3.9cvs. I can embed the font
without issues, and if the font is embedded, the issue with "l" is gone. If I
convert Futura, Arial, Myriad or most other sans serif font to outlines,
the "l" issue persists.

I suggest you download and install 1.3.3.9cvs and re-test.

Cheers

Christoph