[Scribus] Scribus memory requirements

Craig Ringer craig
Tue May 1 11:47:24 CEST 2007

ols6000 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> At 04:03 PM 4/30/2007, avox wrote:
>> You might want to check that you have 2-4 GB of virtual memory available.
>
> Can you tell me how to do that?
>
>> That's not feasible. You or anyone else is invited to program an application
>> like Scribus without using Qt, we wont.
>
> I program all my applications without Qt (on Windows). Why are you so
> insistent that Qt is the only possible GUI?

Out of curiosity, what do you use? Straight win32 API coding? MFC? A
cross-platform toolkit like GTK+, WxWidgets or FLTK?

The reason I personally like Qt so much is that it's native C++ (unlike
GTK+, which has OK C++ wrappers these days but even so works very badly
with exceptions - and never used to work decently with C++ at all), it's
a clean and pleasant API, and it provides cross platform abstractions
for much of what Scribus needs.

That said, I think you'll find that Andreas and Craig Bradney were
trying to say that Qt is the only viable option *for* *Scribus* given
that we're already heavily reliant on it - not that it's the only usable
toolkit full stop.

> So you're telling me I can't use Scribus, unless I break my document
> into small parts.

Maybe not even then because of the way it handles high resolution
images. There is definitely a point where a single image is too large
for the current Scribus buils to cope with, but I don't know if you've
hit it on your particular machine.

--
Craig Ringer