[Scribus] Scribus memory requirements

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Tue May 1 15:03:24 CEST 2007

ols6000 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> Yes, but you're asking the wrong question. The right one is, how can
> Scribus be improved to handle situations that users need, or even
> think they need.

In the long run, I think Scribus could be modified to operate so that
image files are not loaded into a document, perhaps low dpi versions
made for placement purposes, but still hanging onto a pointer for the
original file for PDF export. Even if you choose not to display images
now, the images still get loaded in. One thing I've noticed, BTW, is
that you can get a play-by-play by running 'top' while your file is
being loaded -- when your RAM and SWAP get used up, Scribus dies
(surprise, surprise). Linux attempts to free up memory as much as it
can, but for what you're asking, it's not enough by far.

Aside from that, what everyone is saying is that you're not going to see
Scribus modifications in the short run. If shrinking image files is not
practical, the only workaround with Scribus is going to be making
single-page documents, converting to single-page PDFs, then either using
that way or combining the PDFs.

Greg