[Scribus] PDF generated from Scribus doesn't print right

avox avox
Tue Mar 27 21:12:14 CEST 2007

Gustavo Homem wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 March 2007 19:03, John Beale wrote:
>>  > I generated this PDF with Scribus:
>>  > http://people.angulosolido.pt/~gustavo/scribus/probPDF/problem.pdf
>>  > and although it opens fine on Adobe Reader, whenever I try to print it
>>  > result is half a page of pixelated content, along with a perfect
>> half...
>>
>> Adobe Acrobat 7 for Windows XP reports the above PDF document is 16.5 x
>> 11.7" in size, and it is just a lossy-compressed bitmap, without vector
>> or
>> font info. Is that what you intended? Is this your original layout or was
>
> Yes, this is intended.
>
>> this scanned in from an existing print? I only have a US letter-sized
>
> Precisely.
>
>> printer (8.5 x 11 inches) but for what it is worth, when asked to print
>> just page 1, Acrobat 7 did print out the first page correctly (the one
>> that
>> is shown pixellized in your PNG example)

How did you produce this? Scan three images, convert those to PDF,
put PDFs into imageframes in Scribus, produce PDF?

Dont Do That!

Bitmap images are extremely sensitive when being scaled to near 100% but not
exactly 100%.
That's why you scan at least at 400 dpi if your output is 300 dpi.

In your case the image on the first page is probably scaled twice: once when
the PDF is placed
(likely at 99,5% or 101% or someting similar) and the second time when the
page is output.
To avoid this, use the images (tiffs?) you get directly from the scan
process and place those
in Scribus. If you need to scale, avoid percentages near 50%, 100% or 200%.

Scanning at a higher resolution might also help.

/Andreas