[Scribus] Different Distros - different versions of Scribus?

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Mon Mar 12 15:03:35 CET 2007

Elaine de Saxe wrote:
> Good morning ... I'm playing about with Linux distros trying to
> decide which one/s will do what I need ...
>
> Out of the myriad of distros, I chose seven to trial.
>
> The first is Ubuntu and I discover to my surprise, that I can only
> get 1.2x via Synaptic. I read Aleksandr's comment about the Ubuntu
> developers and since I'm more interested in Scribus than Ubuntu, I'm
> happy to go on to another distro.
>
> These are the ones I have available right now:
>
> btw using an ex-PC laptop with a P3 800mHz and 300+ RAM - if that's
> at all useful information.
>
> Simply Mepis 6
> Zen 4.2 - have only the live CD - how do I run Scribus this way? I
> can always buy the Instal disk!
> Kubuntu 6.10 - same issue I suppose.
> Damn Small Linux 3.2
> Linux Mint 2.2
> somewhere around there's a Fedora Core 5 (I think).
>
> Which one/s if any, will run the latest Scribus?

I just loaded scribus via yum on my wife's FC6 -- latest seems to be
1.3.3.6 on Livna.
I think it's worth the effort to learn how to compile your own, at least
from the latest official release (currently 1.3.3.8), since every once
in a while there is some issue that gets fixed yet takes a little time
to find its way to the available binaries. You can have more than one
version on your machine this way as well.

Greg