[Scribus] Q: Adding image with transparency

D. R. Evans doc.evans
Wed Mar 7 02:49:33 CET 2007

william f. maddock said the following at 03/06/2007 04:48 AM :

> If I understand what you are attempting, your problem is a
> misunderstanding of the functionality of opacity. The opacity attribute
> only applies WITHIN THE IMAGE in GIMP, being used to set the blending
> characteristics of the layer having the semi-transparent opacity setting
> with the layers that are beneath it within the GIMP image. Once the
> image is saved to be used in another application, the opacity attribute
> is no longer there. When the image was flattened, the layers blended,
> upon saving to the PNG format, the opacity did its job at that point in
> order to accomplish the proper blending of the layers to achieve the
> final image that gets saved out of GIMP.
>
> If you must blend the intended background with the image that you wish
> to be 15% opaque, you will have to do so in GIMP, then import the result
> of that into scribus.

Oh! You mean that basically I have to build everything in GIMP? Oh dear.
That will mean that all the image material will end up being on a single
layer in Scribus, which will make the layout much more difficult than I was
expecting, since I will have to lay out all the image material precisely in
GIMP, which is much harder than doing it in Scribus.

I thought I was trying to do something easy, but apparently not :-(